Thursday, October 6, 2011

Another Map Experiment

I think it's fairly clear that the rather famous Greyhawk map doesn't show but a small portion of the total settlements in Greyhawk.  Otherwise, Furyondy is a barren wasteland, as is most of the rest of the World of Greyhawk.  As such, I felt I should develop the settlements around my campaign area.  For the most part, the players have yet to go outside the two hexes containing Greyhawk and the infamous castle.

Assuming we go with my plan, here is what the countryside around Greyhawk might look like:

click to embiggen

I somewhat followed the Welsh Piper's automated system, but I halved the amount of farmland in accordance with a post by Rob Conley I can't seem to find.  I also fudged a bit so that I'd have to detail slightly fewer towns.  The area on the Greyhawk side of the Nyr Dyv relies on farming feeholders rather than a manorial system.  As such, It would have significantly fewer villages than the Furyondy side.

I'm not entirely happy with it, but I can't quite put my finger on why.

No comments:

Post a Comment