Saturday, April 30, 2011

The Folio Project


I mentioned previously that I know very little about the Greyhawk setting.  After getting some excellent recommendations, I decided to pick up the original folio in order to see what all the fuss was about.  I went with the folio since it was a bit skimpier on details than later versions.

Anyway, my copy came in the mail yesterday and I'm very impressed with it.  The folder itself is rather scuffed up, but the booklet and maps are immaculate.  The maps live up to their reputation, and pictures on the internet truly do not do them justice.  The Folio is exactly what the doctor ordered.

So I've decided to start a new project for my blog.  It'll be roughly in the style of sirlarkins's Grey Box Project or Scott's Wilderlands of Darkling Sorcery.  Essentially I'll try to develop a version of Greyhawk that appeals to my tastes using only this folio and some version of D&D I like (likely LL + AEC).  

I would say I'm approaching Greyhawk with fresh eyes, but I think that would imply that I'm somewhat familiar with the setting.  This is literally my first contact with the World of Greyhawk so I have no preconceptions.  I don't know if I'll come up with anything new or extremely radical, but I hope to have something I'm happy with.

Proper work on this project will have to be stalled until after next week, since I still have a mountain of work to do before the semester is over.  I'll still have Dark Country and Uz posts fairly regularly.  In fact, I have a number of ideas for those two settings swirling around in my head right now, but it'd take too long to write them up and I can't justify doing that with this work load.  Still, you can look forward to more material on those settings in the near future.

6 comments:

  1. Good luck on this project.
    I used to game (not DM, though) in the Greyhawk setting.
    I had some good times and after the campaign was done, I later adopted the Realms as my place to play... in doing so, I kind of tossed out Greyhawk altogether. I may have been harsh in doing that, so your posts may make me look at it with fresh eyes again.

    I am finishing up classes, too, and been doing the A-Z Blogging Challenge, so my projects have been on hold, also. I wish you well in finishing up te semester and look forward to your posts.

    You have a great blog and good ideas, so I am sure your insights will be worth reading,

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://ghmaps.net/

    might be of interest to you also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad my suggestion, among others, helped you decide on the folio. I'm interested in reading about your take on the World of Greyhawk setting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. NOW,
    that brings back some good memories,
    enjoy . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our fellow paladin, Roger, is, I believe, a fan of Greyhawk. We played in the setting briefly last year. I've read a few of those old novels but I wouldn't say that I'm familiar with that setting either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm currently running my own Greyhawk campaign for Pathfinder based off of the 1983 Box Set. I call it Legends of Early Greyhawk and it follows no official canon whatsoever. I used the classic start date of 576 CY. I just pick and choose whatever materials I want to use and make up whatever else I want to add. Good luck with your project, I truly believe that Greyhawk is a goldmine of idea seeds.

    ReplyDelete